Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Lil Mrs Answers a frequently asked question....


So, I get alot of questions on how-to's and, our marshmellow fondant recipes...


However the most frequently asked question is always...

"Why can't I use a box mix and box frosting?"


So, here is my take on the answer...


Box mixes usually come with "one cup of pudding" in the cup. With that being said, you know when you make those pillsbury cakes and they are ultra moist and fall appart? Well... imagine trying to stack them and add 4 lbs of fondant over it... not easy huh?


Now, I've also had some people ask why, even though they've used their own cake, they always ruin the fondant with the "frosting" that they buy in the stores...


They mean the frosting in the cans with the red labels. The reason? Look at the ingredients- Mostly vegetable oil. Vegetable oil is used to soften fondant. So Imagine, you cover your cake with this extremely soft vegetable oil frosting... it is only going to break down the composition of the fondant. Remember all fondant (The real stuff not the plastic wilton kind) really is is sugarand water or milk in some cases. Most gumpaste glue is made with melted fondant!


So whathappens? The fondant sags. It gets wet...it gets bumpy... it doesnt stay hard... and...in some cases... it molds (Ewww)


So, try your hand at some real recipes, and i promise they will get easier as you go along.


Hope that helped!

Love and Sprinkles

Jenny

1 comment:

  1. Love this!!! Even when I *must* use box mix, I always make my own frosting! Now I feel fancy hahaha

    ReplyDelete